Monday, April 3, 2017

Personal Values Can Inspire Those Around You

I am sharing a blog post recently made by our colleague at Northwest AEA, chief administrator Tim Grieves. His comments caused me to think about my own observations regarding what has/has not been a priority this legislative session in Iowa. I've been open about my concern over some of the actions I've observed, and I'm convinced, now more than ever, is the time to speak up and take action based on values that I believe are critical to helping all children thrive.

What values are important to you? Do the basic values of equity, efficiency and effectiveness (the basis for the formation of Iowa’s AEAs) resonate with you? Personally, these values are what provide meaning for my daily work and are the means through which I try to improve resources and services for all of Iowa’s children.

I encourage you to reflect on your own values and the reason they are important to you. At a time when it may not feel like we have influence at an individual level, each of us can invest time in sharing our passion and the purpose behind the work we do. When we take action to help others understand not only what we do every day, but why we do the work we do, I’m convinced that we will influence policy decisions in the long term. 

As the 2017 Iowa legislative session enters its final weeks, I hope you will consider actions you can take now and continue over the next several months to share your passion. You have incredible stories to tell about the tremendous ways you support educators, families and children on a daily basis. Let’s make sure those around us have an opportunity to hear about the challenges, the successes and the ways your work changes the lives of those you serve. It will also change the lives of those around you for the better! 

With appreciation and admiration for your work,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment